Friday, April 10, 2009

March 2009 trip, part 4


Post created by Cari Clement

April 2
It is SO hard to believe I have to leave this afternoon. I spend part of the morning stuffing my suitcases, then Laura, Patrick and I meet at the hotel to go over the 3-month work plan and budget. And, just as we get done, Jesse Hawkes, the Program Director of our sister program at RAPP, calls Laura to tell us RAPPSIDA has received a four-year grant from the German government! I hope this is a positive omen for the Rwanda Knits USAID grant application. A celebration for Jesse is in order, but we also have to leave for the airport. While there is ample time to catch my flight, postponing heading to the airport just makes leaving all that more difficult. This has been one of the most successful and positive trips to date and it will be so difficult to leave. But we pile in Patrick's car and head to the airport. I just cannot hide how much I hate to leave, but better to get the emotions over with now than drag them out. There will be a next time.....

No need to describe the flight back, which, though long and pretty full, was uneventful. I start to read A Thousand Hills as my mind just cannot leave Rwanda. But I also miss my daughter and her family and my husband, so guess it's just time. Thanks for following this blog and watch for more postings from Laura and Patrick!

Cari

No comments: